Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Tumor Tumult (6)

For the past few years it has been our privilege to know a wonderful lady named Dee Gray. Dee is a little past 80, but she’s one of the most positive, feisty persons I’ve ever known. She’s dealt with cancer, diabetes, heart problems, and other health issues, but until recently she lived in her own apartment, drove her own car, and stayed active in painting. She’s on dialysis three times a week. A year ago she underwent a surgery to correct some abnormalities in her leg. I’ve never seen a worse looking leg. They were talking amputation. Today, I saw her stand up and walk with the help of a walker. That’s amazing when you consider the fact that I was asked if I would be available to conduct her funeral just a few months ago. She still hasn’t given up her apartment although she’s living with her daughter, and she said, “If I can ever get in it, I can drive my car.” Whether she should or not is something else again. During my visit with her, she told me that she had surgery on her brain back in 1987. It was similar to my prospective surgery. She walked me through the whole process step by step, and even let me feel the place where they made entry into her skull. She talked about it like it was just all in a day’s work. She and her late husband spent most of their life farming. Brain surgery was a breeze compared to drought, low cotton prices, insects, and cotton’s competition with polyester. My conversation with her lifted my spirits, and encouraged me greatly. She’s a confidence builder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home