Sunday, July 15, 2007

Raising a Modern Day Knight

I want to get away from my medical problems for awhile and tell you about a special experience I had in Virginia last week. My purpose for being there was a ceremony honoring my grandson, Hunter’s transition to manhood. We started out with a dress rehearsal (without Hunter of course). Elliott, Hunter's father and my oldest son, drove us to a bicycle trail that runs alongside the Potomac River. We were given pieces of authentic Roman armor, which each of us would give Hunter. About 12 to 15 men participated in the experience. Men were stationed about every 150 to 200 yards along the trail. Elliott and Tad (Hunter's great uncle) went back to get Hunter. Or course Hunter’s birthday was coming up, and Tad travels a lot, so it didn’t really tip him off when he saw Tad. Tad videotaped the whole experience. The armor pieces corresponded to the armor mentioned in Ephesians 6. I was at the next to last station. I had the opportunity to place the helmet of salvation on Hunter’s head. I walked backwards, looked at him and the entourage that was now following him, and talked to him about what it means to wear the helmet of salvation. I just asked everybody to make sure I didn’t run into a tree. I had videotaped my part when I thought I wasn’t going to make the trip, but it was so much better to do it in person. Finally we reached the terminus and Elliott gave him the sword of the spirit. After that we had a wonderful picnic lunch. Chef Elliott grilled steaks and salmon. That’s not bad eating for a picnic. If Elliott needs a job after the army thing is over, I’m sure he can find employment as a gourmet chef.

I wish more people would think about doing a similar ceremony. You don’t have to do the armor thing, but a ceremony into manhood can be enormously important. I’ll never forget the way Elliott made his transition. During his first year in school he lived with my parents in Clyde, Texas. I still remember leaving Clyde to return to Iowa. I hugged him. I couldn’t think of any super important words to say. I don’t recall what I actually said, but I knew that my house would never be his permanent place of abode again. It was tough. I did it three other times, and it was never easy, but I think the first one was the worst. I just wish I could have had the good sense to do something like this.

You can find several ideas for such a ceremony in Raising a Modern Day Knight, A Father’s Role in Guiding His Son by Robert Knight (not to be confused with the Texas Tech basketball coach).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home